15 January 2006

TV on Mobile Phones

Before I left for Korea, I watched a gadget/technology programme with my family. It featured Korean technology giant Samsung releasing a mobile phone into the domestic market that can tune into TV. Last week I hopped into a taxi after arriving in Gunsan on the bus. The taxi driver, after a short conversation about his family, immediately began to show off his TV-cum-mobile phone. He invited me to watch TV as he drove me to the opposite side of the city.

As I suspected back in England, watching TV from a screen that is the size of two UK postage stamps is difficult, and needless to say, a complete waste of time, in my opinion. Some people may enjoy this sort of thing, but it certainly is not for me.

I remember the days when a mobile phone was exactly that: a mobile phone. No fancy gadgetory or add-ons. Call me old-fashioned, but it seems that these days the mobile phone is merely a low-key feature on a hand-held multi-media device. Why bother calling it a mobile phone?

Nowadays I get frustrated when buying a mobile phone. They have all this extra stuff that I neither want nor need (a camera is now standard in Korea)...and I end up paying extra for it. I just want a mobile phone!!!

"It has an MP3 player!" declared the salesman.
"I already have an MP3 player that does a better job. Why would I need another one?" I wanted to say.

My father told me that he had heard that Japan are bringing out a revolutionary new mobile phone...a mobile phone that is simply a mobile phone (with text function). It will be interesting to see if it hits off.

8 Comments:

At 1/16/2006 6:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Louise, I'm a long reader of your blog from since your gunsan days.
I just wanted to ask you, Now that you live in Seoul, is there any changes from your gunsan days and which area do you prefer?

 
At 1/16/2006 11:24 am, Blogger Louise said...

Jason,

I have only been living in this area in Seoul for a couple of weeks so it is hard to judge. I live right on the edge, so where I live feels like a small city anyway

However I miss the prettiness of Gunsan....Gunsan has a couple of parks that I used to go to quite regualarly. I need to explore this area some more to see if there are any parks nearby.

I am enjoying the fact that I have access to things like a cinema, more choice in food etc

As yet I have not decided which area I prefer...

Thankyou for reading my blog for so long. Do you have a blog of your own?

Louise

 
At 1/17/2006 2:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember when you can walk into a coffee place and order a coffee and not looked upon as a freak for not ordering the "double-latte with almond with 1 cream, 2 sugars with a dash of cinammon and whipped cream with chocolate on it"

BTW welcome to Seoul.It will be queit an experience.

 
At 1/17/2006 2:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember when you can walk into a coffee place and order a coffee and not looked upon as a freak for not ordering the "double-latte with almond with 1 cream, 2 sugars with a dash of cinammon and whipped cream with chocolate on it"

BTW welcome to Seoul.It will be queit an experience

 
At 1/17/2006 6:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bloody luddite!!

***

Seriously though, I've no idea why I've got half the stuff on my mobile. It seems like you only use video footage to film yourself slapping strangers, watching Russians get their heads cut off or watch a woman swallow a male member; use the camera to send photos of your private parts, and; have the MP3 player to have a really annoying ringtone.

However, my ringtone rules all.

 
At 1/18/2006 11:01 pm, Blogger Louise said...

Anonymous, thanks for the warm welcome.

Alex, thanks for the advice!

Louise

 
At 1/18/2006 11:04 pm, Blogger Louise said...

Lee,

Does the word `you` refer to myself, yourself or in general?

 
At 1/19/2006 4:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a pronoun - in general.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home