12 April 2007

He's a Year Older!

Today is my other half's 31st birthday, and because I work late tonight we decided to celebrate part A of his birthday last night. I meet him in Itaewon (Seoul brown line) after he finished work, a place that I detest due to the overwhelming number of foreigners and the general ghetto-ness of it all. However, due to the wide variety of foreigners residing here, there is also a wide variety of restaurants, so I thought it would be a cool place to take him (on a budget, as we both need to save a lot of money this year).

While he was studying English in Oz, he lived with an Australian housemate of Turkish descent, who regularly cooked him Turkish food. Even though it has been nearly 4 years, he still misses the food, so I thought it would be nice to take him to a Turkish restaurant. The place I took him to is named Salam, and despite the interior looking like the Turkish version of Kimbab Nara, and being well out of the way in some nook in the wall of the Mosque, there was competition for seats. Even Turkish people were eating there, a true compliment to the food and it's Turkish chef (or maybe because it is one of the few Turkish restaurants that exists in Korea).

Unfortunately even though I brought my camera with me I forgot to get batteries for it (duh), so I have no pictures of the food. Also this place does not seem to have a website. However the most important thing is that we had a really good time; it was my first time to eat specifically Turkish food, and for him it brought back fond memories of his time in Australia. The food....I find it difficult to describe. I suppose I can say that the main meat is Halal lamb or beef, and there are side dishes of various curries and salad. It is not particularly spicy, so it will suit most tastes. Also the food is eaten with rice, or wraped in flat bread (you wrap it yourself).

At his Royal Namjaness' request, I also gave him his birthday present: a limited edition Dr Who DVD boxset, 1963-1993, the theme being the Darleks. Songsu got into Dr Who after watching the recent ones on TV in Korea, and he loved the fact that it was the Darleks, because the mechanics are famous etc etc (it went straight over my head, but the most important thing it that he is happy). He also got a chocolate pig birthday cake...about 3 inches in diameter seeing as does not have a particularly sweet tooth.

Birthday celebrations part deux/B will commence Saturday night....it is a suprise so I cannot mention it right now in case he takes a sneeky peek at my blog.

5 Comments:

At 4/12/2007 7:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Louise, Wishing your hubby a very Happy 31st Birthday! Since you are both busy, it is a good idea to celebrate the party for two days. And since u tasted Turkish food on the first day, u can go for some more exciting delicacies! Personally, I love Italian, Mexican, Chinese and Thai food. I've never tasted turkish though. Korea is a wonderful country, isn't it? I would love to see the picture of the chocolate pig(and recipe)if possible.

 
At 4/13/2007 10:28 am, Blogger Louise said...

Hi Carol thanks for the comment!

Actually he is not my husband...yet. Still waiting for the proposal...

Today on his actual birthday I cooked him the traditional Miyeok-guk, which put a big smile on his face. We could not really celebrate yesterday as I did not get home until 9.30pm. However he knows that part B is coming up on Saturday!

Overall he has been delighted with everything so far!

 
At 4/13/2007 10:33 am, Blogger Louise said...

Oh yeah, I bought the tiny chocolate pig from Crown Bakery. I don't have an oven here in Korea so I could not bake a cake. I planned to take a picture of it but it had disappeared by the time I got home. I think the boyf has a photo of it on his mobile though.

 
At 4/22/2007 12:30 pm, Blogger Alex said...

Where'd you find the Dr. Who box set? I'd love to buy one for myself. The 4th doctor is rad.

 
At 4/27/2007 10:47 am, Blogger Louise said...

I got it from www.amazon.co.uk Usually it is another supplier who is using amazon to sell their stuff, but other suppliers will probably deliver internationally anyway...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home