18 April 2007

Birthday Part Deux

Last Saturday Songsu was dragged to central Seoul knowing that a 'suprise' was in store. I tricked him into thinking that we were going to the Gyeongbukgong area, because he had been bothering me all week about giving him clues as to where I intended to take him. When he guessed Gyeongbukgong I just gave this kind of sheepish smile, to which he responded with a feeling of pride that he had worked out where we were headed for. However that feeling soon evapourated when we got off at a completely different subway station (Jongno). No longer did he feel like Mr Smartypants, but like a complete numpty.

As we walked the streets of Jongno he continued to nag about where we were going. I just silently made him follow me, until we neared the pub. "Oh, we are half an hour early for the thing I want to take you to, let's get a drink in here while we are waiting" I suggested. So we entered the pub and I quickly scanned the crowd.

Within seconds I had him at a very long table with 9 of his friends sat down waiting for him to arrive. "Happy Birthday!" they all cheered in Korean as a suprised Songsu took his place in front of the birthday cake. Songsu was completely bewildered and asked everbody about how they organised the party. Eventually he found out that it was my idea, and I had asked one of his friends to contact everybody else for a suprise birthday party for Songsu. In fact, the day that I started making arrangements, Songsu told me that he had already arranged a boys night with his friends for the same day and time. Panicking, I demanded that he cancelled his appointment because I had arranged a suprise for him weeks ago etc. So he cancelled the plan, and I got on the phone the next day to the same friend, whom I then asked to phone these boys and tell them to come to the party. How suprised he was to see the same boys turn up at the party and therefore the cancelled appointment was not really cancelled at all!

People arrived in dribs and drabs over the course of the evening, topping at around 20. Many photographs were taken, especially ones of Songsu drunk as a skunk wearing his 'I'm 31" badge, but unfortunately not with my camera because I forgot it. However, I really hope that this is a night he remember for the rest of his life.

(5 days later, despite repeatedly giving his friend all the credit for the suprise birthday party, I'm still receiving special attention from Songsu and basking in the glory of "the Best Girlfriend in the World" quote).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home